Sponsorship

Thursday 8 February 2024

Solution to one flockintech at least

Before you read this, please scroll down to the bottom of this article and take action. Thank you.

I've mentioned on my other blogs about "Lock-in Technology," which I refer to as flockintech. I've also posted about "bottlenecks" which get between us and technology, and suggest that maybe technology needs to become less intrusive and more ubiquitous, and that AI is still a long way from being fully and advantageously used for our betterment.

And this article details one piece of flockintech, and one CEO's precise impression of the people his company aims to serve. Totally treats each one of us as a minuscule annoyance he has to put up with for that extra half a cent in his annual salary... 

My Brilliant Take: 

USE AI! USE AI! USE AI! USE AI! USE AI! USE AI! USE AI!

The stupid "protection" on some basically really stupid ink cartridges must be fairly easy to reverse-engineer. Using AI to poke and prod at various cartridges and printers should give us an easy way to make any and all 3rd party cartridges work just fine.

We have this technology, let's stop using it to make fap-worthy faerie warrior maidens and start a war against lock-in technology! We have some rwally really REALLY clever people out there who are looking for challenges that'll make a difference. This is one such. Go for it!

Before you ask, I don't really write programs. I write some basic code to accomplish simple tasks and my brain even rebelled at anything more than BASIC and some batchfile commands. Doinmg what it takes to teach "AI" to be "Any Kind Of I" is way beyond my pay grade. But you may know someone. Pass this post on!

It took hackers to fix Polish trains that were locked-in by their manufacturers - we need hackers now that will forego the huge FOSS projects and concentrate on these smaller, but oh so much more impactful projects. To me, teaching an AI to hack printer cartridges is black arcane magic. To someone out there, this may just be a trivial exercise. Posts like this one need to be passed on - please be one of the passers-on!

And that's it, really, you're right, this could have been a toot - but some messaging services still have a ridiculous character limit. 

Before you go, life here has become immeasurably harder due to a long-term health issue in the family, and I am hoping I can rely on you to do that - pass this post and others like it on via your social networks, pass the link to Ted's News Stand on so people get to read some of my other recent posts, and if you at all can, please donate. Links in the graphic:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Web Toys I Can Use

Bear with me. It's not often I get to brag about stuff I've designed. I say "designed" because I figured it out, then got ...