Sponsorship

Monday 25 July 2022

New Tools For New Creations

Tradition is all very well

. . . but if we stuck to tradition we'd still be using knapped flint knives to scrape skins for clothing. What made me think of that? This video at around the ten minute mark where it becomes apparent that Johnny is copping some flak about using his CNC router so much, the implication being that he's atrophying his traditional woodworking skills.

Of course (spoiler alert) the use of manual tools is still crafstmanlike and extremely satisfying to watch. Perhaps the person that mentioned it was missing the ASMR of watching hand-crafting. Me, I got my enjoyment from seeing a new tool being used to create innovative new designs. 

And just imagine an ancient Persian atisan doing that inlay with an iron chisel that needed sharpening every hour, a fine saw to cut (what would undoubtedly have been) ivory for the inlay, and so forth, it would have taken a week just to get that done let alone the rest. 

This is me totally using my pic editing
skillz to chop this bit out of the video. In
the old days I'd have had to paint it . . .

Okay - the caption of the image isn't precise. I'd have had to scratch it into a hand flattish rock with another rock, but I wanted illustrate (see what I did there, geddit?) the difference in technology just in publishing, in the last 30 - 50 years. You get the idea. 

Hyperbole Aside

Exaggeration aside, there's no such things a "losing traditional skills." Tradition - it . . . evolves. Not too many people remember a lariat rope knot (or horseback cutting, roping, and tying) but not so long ago it was a valued tradition for cowboys and stockmen. Now they're flying helicopters and driving muster buggies. You get the idea.

My own father was a good home wood and metal worker but his knowledge of plastics and resins pretty much ended at epoxy two part mix and PVA wood glue. He taught me with a handsaw, chisels, and grinders and arc and oxy-acetylene welding. When I got a circular saw and plunge router he was dubious only until he used them himself, and so his Christmas presents for that year were easy . . . 

If I'd had kids, I'd be passing along CNC and 3D printing skills along with use of dremel tools and 3D CAD design, in addition to my secondhand manual and powered woodworking and metalworking skills, but in a form that used the tools I have at my disposal, and those theoretical kids would consider those to be "tradtional."

So Whither Future?

I'd also be teaching them the skills I'm still struggling with like programming Unos and Pis and Jetsons and making them part of a build. And my father would not like those much nor understand them because they'd address none of the build targets he'd have had. 

But when someone comes up with 'wood fusing ceramic coating' or nanotech machining, I won't grumble too much about the "problem of losing the old ways" but just make sure future generations, and my readers, will know how to use either, as appropriate. 

Each advance in tech will come with naysayers and what I call 'epoch puritans' as one kind of process gives way to a new process, equipment, or even an entirely new craft. I see those as distinct epochs, and FFF (3D additive printing) was one such that I've been lucky enough to be involved in from early mass adoption. I've so far not had the opportunity to get hands-on with resin printing, sintered and melted metal, laser cutting, or CNC processing but that's only because I can't afford to, and as soon as I can, I will. 

Footer

Take a look at my News Stand where you'll see live updated links to everything I publish; or take a subscription to my weekly newsletter where you'll receive the same information in your inbox for free; Or contact me via the webform or directly email me if you'd like to help; or donate either directly or at my Ko-Fi page for the price of a coffee, or even make a regular monthly donation there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Web Toys I Can Use

Bear with me. It's not often I get to brag about stuff I've designed. I say "designed" because I figured it out, then got ...